Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. ARLIS/NA Conference Publicity - Spotlight on Events & Activities Spotlight on Special Events and Activities

In our listserv and blog posts you've learned about the workshops, the tours, and the sessions -- those are, without a doubt, the meat and bones of the conference and the reason that we get support from our institutions to attend the conference. Now, let's talk about the parties and special activities! Coming together to meet colleagues and to share information and ideas is good reason to celebrate.

Here's a list of the special events you should be sure to include in your conference schedule. (This is a long post -- that's just because there's so much to tell you about!)

First Time Attendees Orientation
Fri. 5-6pm (Hotel)
Is it your first time at an ARLIS/NA conference? Stop by for an introduction to the board members and a general welcome to ARLIS/NA. It's a great place to find out who the other newbies are and begin that networking right away! You'll also get an overview of what to expect and how to get the most out of the conference. We look forward to seeing you there!

Convocation and Awards
Fri. 6:30-8pm (Hotel)
Our first evening will get off to an exciting start with our Convocation Ceremony, where we have an opportunity to recognize and honor book award winners, travel award winners, and our Distinguished Service Award winner. Maxwell Anderson, the Melvin and Bren Simon Director and CEO of the Indianapolis Museum of Art, will give the keynote address at the Convocation.

Welcome Party
Fri. 8-10pm (Eiteljorg Museum)
Immediately following the Convocation Ceremony, all attendees are invited to the welcome party at the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art. It's an easy walk from the hotel and the event gives everyone a chance to see who's at the conference and to begin catching up on everyone's news. And, the galleries and museum shop will be open for us that evening.

Web 2.0 Tech Kiosk
Sat. 10:30am–1pm and Sun. 9:30am-12:30pm (Exhibit Hall, Hotel)
A crew of tech-savvy and dedicated volunteers will help you try your hand at using a Web 2.0 Technology. Find out with what all the buzz is about and try your hand at blogging, flickr, RSS feeds, wikis, and even a tweet or two. Discover tricks and tools and walk away with hands-on experience and knowledge of how the world of art information is changing.

Exhibits
Sat. 10:30-7 with Grand Opening 10:30am-1pm (lunchbreak 1-2pm) and Sun. 9:30am-4pm (lunchbreak 12:30-2pm) (Exhibit Hall, Hotel)
The Exhibit Hall will be open Saturday and Sunday (except for lunch breaks). Come and visit with our vendors and see what they've brought for us to enjoy. Look out for further blog posts specific to the Exhibit Hall schedule and highlighting our vendors.

Circle City Celebration
Sun. 6-8pm (Indianapolis Museum of Art — bus transportation provided)
This is our big bash and you won't want to miss it! Check this URL [
http://www.imamuseum.org/connect/videos/59352] for a video introduction to the Indianapolis Museum of Art, our host for evening. Galleries and the museum shop will be open during our visit.

Membership Breakfast and Meeting
Mon. 8-10am (Hotel)
All members are invited to our annual meeting. You'll hear updates about the Society's activities from this year and hopes and plans for the coming year and our new officers will take the helm. A highlight of the meeting will be an introduction to Boston, site of our conference in 2010.

Silent Auction
Sat. 6-7pm and Sun. 9:30-10:45am (Exhibit Hall, Hotel)
The Silent Auction is a fun-filled way to raise funds for the Society. Individuals and Chapters bring items to offer for auction. Take some time to view all the donations displayed in the Exhibit Hall and make a bid on your favorite items. Don't miss the finale on Sunday morning! (There will be more information about the Silent Auction coming on the listserv and on the blog as the conference approaches.)

Society Circle Reception (invitation only)
Sat. 6-8pm (Herron Art Gallery, IUPUI)
The Society Circle was formed in 2003 to serve as the fundraising arm of the organization. Each year an event is offered for Society Circle members. If you're not already a member, consider joining.

Extras
Last, but not least. be sure to take part in morning Yoga or Bird-watching or any other gatherings and activities that make our conference special.

Yoga (Saturday, Sunday and Monday mornings at 7am) will be led by BJ Irvine in the Denver Room of the hotel and Bird-watching along the White River State Park Promenade (Hotel Lobby, Sunday morning at 7am) will be led by ARLIS/NA and Audubon Society member, Jennifer Hehman.

On Sunday (after your yoga or your walk) come and mingle at the Coffeebreak from 9:30-11am.

Don't miss the opportunity to attend a minor league baseball game on Thursday night at Victory Field [
http://indianapolis.indians.milb.com/index.jsp].  Cheer on the Indianapolis Indians as they take on the Louisville Bats!

To see a complete list of all of the events visit http://arlisna09.sched.org/type/social

Best regards,

Rebecca Price and Annette Haines
Conference Publicity

Check out the blog for more conference information!
http://arlisnaindy.wordpress.com/