ARLIS/NA Conference Publicity - Spotlight on Sessions IV Spotlight on Sessions IV

This is the fourth and last post about sessions: in this one we focus on
Indiana. There’s lots to know about Indiana! For instance, did you know that
Indianapolis native, Albert Von Tilzer, wrote the music for that classic
baseball song, “Take Me Out to the Ball Game?”

Attending sessions that bring you information about the host city and region
are one of the highlights of attending any ARLIS/NA conference. When
thinking back to past conferences that we’ve attended, the sessions that
stick in our minds and help us remember where we’ve met over the years are
without a doubt the ones that tell us more about where we are. To name just
a very few: there’s the Pittsburgh sessions on Carnegie’s patronage of
libraries and the glass of the Ohio River Valley; in Baltimore, the row
house as urban form (not to mention those amazing painted window screens);
in Atlanta, the sessions on traditional arts of the South and film
preservation (”Gone with the Wind”); in the Banff sessions on the Canadian
Pacific Railway and Lodges of the Rockies and the Group of Seven. We could
go on and on about the wealth of information we’ve received over the years,
but now we turn to this year!

Here’s a listing of sessions on the art and architecture that identifies
Indianapolis and the surrounding region. We trust that they will uphold
ARLIS/NA standards and will be as dynamic, interesting, and memorable as
previous years’ local-focus sessions.

Architectural Patronage: Legacy of Columbus, Indiana
Sat. April 18, 2:00 - 3:30 pm
The presenters of this session will look through three different lenses at
Columbus, Indiana’s architecture: the lens of corporate support and
architectural culture, the lens of modernism and its architectural heritage,
and the lens of the preservation of mid-century modernism. If you’re
planning to go on the Columbus tour, this session will add much to your
understanding of the city. If you cannot participate in the tour of
Columbus, this session will not only inform you of the city, but will put a
placeholder in your mind for that next vacation trip. Gotta see it!

From Courthouse to Modern House: Historic Preservation in Indiana
Sun. April 19, 2:00 - 3:30 pm
Indiana boasts an active historic preservation community and a wide array of
outstanding examples of noteworthy sites. In this session, historic
preservation professionals and educators will review the historic
preservation movement in Indiana, describe the state’s resources for
historic preservation, and illustrate how they interact to provide historic
preservation advocacy that is a model across the United States.

Off the Wall: Photography beyond Aesthetics
Sun. April 19, 2:00 - 3:30 pm
Appreciation of Photography has moved far beyond the librarians’ subject
heading of “Photography, Artistic”. This session will cast an eye to Erotic
Photography, Police Photography, Photojournalism and other non-aesthetic
manifestations. Two of the panelists presenting in this session will focus
on local collections. Claude Cookman, Associate Professor in the School of
Journalism at Indiana University recently curated an exhibit at the Kinsey
Institute gallery, “Infinitely variable: Nude and Erotic Photographs by
Herbert Ascherman Jr.” Martin F. Krause is Curator of Prints, Drawings, and
Photographs at the Indianapolis Museum of Art.

Indiana Innovations: Traditional and Modern Decorative Arts
Mon. April 20, 10:15 - 11:45 am
This panel will discuss and illustrate styles and inventions from Indiana to
exemplify the circle of design from traditional to modern. Quilts, glass,
ceramics, and furniture will be included in this panel. This program will
complement the architectural tour of Columbus, Indiana by featuring design
elements for interiors, and will bring together objects and illustrations
that are representative of Indiana and the region.

Closing Plenary Session: Cultural Development, Urban Planning and the Arts
in Indianapolis
Mon. April 20, 2:00 - 3:00 pm
How does a city re-invent itself culturally? In this session our guest
speaker, Brian Payne, President of the Central Indiana Community Foundation
on Urban Planning, the Arts, and the Indianapolis Cultural Trail will offer
his insights and expertise in addressing this issue.

To see a complete list of all of the sessions visit http://arlisna09.sched.org/type/session.

Best regards,
Rebecca Price and Annette Haines
Conference Publicity

Check out the blog for more conference information!
http://arlisnaindy.wordpress.com/