I would like to remind the ARLIS/NA membership that our conference in Indianapolis is soon approaching (April 17-21). I encourage you to look at the conference program http://www.indiana.edu/~indycon/day.html, where you will see relevant and innovative programs, wonderful workshops and terrific tours immediately before and after the conference. I am sure you will agree that this is a content-rich program, and it also includes receptions at the Eiteljorg Museum<http://www.eiteljorg.org/> and The Indianapolis Museum of Art<http://www.imamuseum.org/> where we will be well fed and given an opportunity to enjoy the collections of these great museums.

I have stayed at the conference hotel and it is comfortable, and just a few minutes' walk to the Eiteljorg Museum, a great space and a collection that will be a revelation to those who have not yet visited. As many of you know, The Indianapolis Museum of Art, where we will where we will have our Circle City Celebration on April 19, is one of this country's great museums,

I realize that many travel budgets have been reduced or perhaps even cut entirely, and the cost of travel to conferences is a challenge for both our institutional and personal budgets.  However, I can say with full confidence that our conference will be one of great value. It has stimulating programs, great receptions and it provides the invaluable opportunity to meet new colleagues and be with friends we have made thanks to ARLIS/NA.

I also know that a few moments on your favorite travel site will find hotels in Indianapolis that are a few dollars cheaper, but there are incalculable benefits to staying in the hotel where the meetings and programs are taking place, where attendees are taking their meals and having their evening drinks. The convenience, collegiality and conviviality are worth the small price differential. In addition, by staying in the conference hotel you are helping our organization. ARLIS/NA has contracted for a block of rooms and if we do not meet our minimum of contracted room nights there are significant penalties. I encourage you to stay at the conference hotel and assure you that it will offer many advantages.

The conference planning committee led by Program Chairs Tony White and Eileen Fry have done a brilliant job, and the local arrangements co-chairs, led by Alba Fernandez-Keys and Sonja Staum, have put together a remarkable series of  programs, receptions, and events; on behalf the ARLIS/NA board I would like to thank them for their great work.

I look forward to seeing a great turnout for the conference, just as I am looking forward to the great programs, to seeing old friends, and to meeting new colleagues.

With thanks and best wishes,
Ken

Ken Soehner
President, ARLIS/NA.