Dear ARLIS Members,

I am a long-time reader, but first time poster to this listserv. The Head of Continuing Education at my institution, the Boston Architectural College (BAC), has given me an interesting research question and I thought I would tap your collective wisdom on this issue. She has asked me to find out if there are any design institutions that offer free design education courses or design education certificate programs to their faculty members as a part of their faculty development plan.

To give you some context for this question, the BAC has always hired a large number of volunteer faculty members, adjuncts who are design professionals actively working in the field. These instructors are many times new to teaching and this has led the BAC to embrace as one of its missions the training and development of these volunteer faculty members into superior design educators. To fulfill this mission, the BAC has created a Certificate of Design Education program that is offered at no cost to any instructor who has worked at the college for more than one semester. The Certificate is a seven-credit, seminar-based program open only to BAC instructors and, according to the official program description, seeks to develop their “teaching skills and their understanding of the learning process.”

Is anyone aware of a similar design education certificate program that has been or is being offered exclusively for the instructors at their or other design institutions? Also, does anyone know of a resource that would help me with this search? I would be very grateful for any help on this topic. Please feel free to reply to me directly.

Thank you very much.

Whitney

Whitney Vitale

Information Literacy / Distance Education Librarian

Boston Architectural College Library

320 Newbury St.

Boston, MA 02115

(617) 585-7337  (ex. 337)