Greetings colleagues,

Please post your responses to the list(s). This is a bit long-winded. No surprise to those of you who know me. I encourage similar excess on your parts.

How do we recover what Bourdieu refers to as the lost sense of original possibles? Or to speak more practically, how do we begin to acclimatize students (or anyone for that matter) to the realization that cultural information does not travel well? That what is lost over time likely exceeds what is transfered? That their paltry attempts at research (using Google Scholar, Wikipedia, BHA, ABM -- does it matter?) are likely doomed to mere academicism. From Bourdieu's The Field of Cultural Production (1993), speaking of fields of cultural production as spaces composed of institutions, memberships, etc.:

“One of the major difficulties of the social history of philosophy, art, or literature is that is has to reconstruct these spaces of original possibles which, because they were part of the self-evident givens of the situation, remain unremarked and are therefore unlikely to be mentioned in contemporary accounts, chronicles or memoirs. It is difficult to conceive of the vast amount of information which is linked to membership of a field and which all contemporaries immediately invest in their reading of works: information about institutions – e.g. academies, journals, magazines, galleries, publishers, etc. – and about persons, their relationships, liaisons and quarrels, information about  the ideas and problems which are ‘in the air’ and circulate orally in gossip and rumor. . . Ignorance of everything which goes to make up the ‘mood of the age’ produces a derealization of works: stripped of everything which attached them to the most concrete debates of their time ..., they are transformed in the direction of intellectualism or an empty humanism.” (33)

I work with a number of photography classes here at Stanford: history of photography, view camera, photobook making, etc. The primary means by which I try to suggest to students what photographers and those who looked at photographs might have been thinking is by examining the photobook and photo magazine productions of that era, treating these artifacts as the cultural detritus of a bygone era. This often involves using items that in other collections would be treated merely as secondary sources, but for such an investigation are now primary materials. Of course, if the publications are lacking dust jackets, trimmed and bound in buckram, they lose that fragile linkage to their moment of origin. As culturally expressive materials they are flattened, steam rolled. We face a similar problem with the digitizing of books. Another cultural flattening occurs. I suspect many of us would argue that this flattening is ideally pierced by a return to the original. If one follows Bourdieu's argument and appreciates the value of conjectural cultural analysis, there are profound implications for collection development, processing, storage, preservation, and instruction.

**My question has, for the moment, a specific and more practical trajectory. Who among you also uses library materials in a similar fashion, as the mute archaeological fragments of a bygone culture? How do foreground your intercessions between the student and the piece? What sort of responses do you get from students and faculty? What collections do you use? Anyone who has followed the marked increase in books about photobooks knows of the shift in scholarly focus towards the photobook. The same can be said for the ephemeral materials of contemporary art practice from the 1960s on. Probably also 19th century materials such as Harper's, or trade catalogs. I'm especially interested not just in what collections you use, but the how and why.

Best to all,

Peter Blank

Peter P. Blank
Head Librarian