Hi Anne,

I believe that some ARLIS/NA members have always ‘felt the pinch!’  I’ve never received full funding from my employers to attend an ARLIS/NA conference, but have been fortunate to work where time off to attend conferences was always granted.  I figured that it was up to me to try to pay for some professional expenses out of my salary, since networking in person with my colleagues has always been important to me (as is viewing vendor exhibits).  When I started to itemize deductions on my taxes, I found that the unfunded part of my conference attendance was deductible (meals are only partly deductible, but then we have to eat no matter where we are don’t we!), so that’s been a help.  There have been times when I’ve shared a room with three others (sharing a bed with a colleague) in order to be able to attend the entire conference: that turned out to be a great way to develop close friendships!; sometimes another option was to have a third roommate on a roll-away bed.  I’ve been known to bring granola bars, peanut butter, crackers, & fruit with me in order to cut down on meal expenses.  And don’t forget to investigate opportunities to apply for travel awards.

By the way, I know of at least one colleague that did not even get paid time off to attend the ARLIS/NA conference, so he took his personal vacation time in order to attend.  It was that important to him.

I think that our conference planners always try to do everything they can to keep the conference costs down---and they are to be commended for that.  I look at registration costs for other professional association conferences and still think that we’re getting a bargain!

Best,

Janine Henri

Architecture, Design, and Digital Services Librarian

UCLA Arts Library

1400 Public Affairs Building

Box 951392

Los Angeles, CA 90095-1392