Dear ARLIS/NA Colleagues

Recently I have been approached by a student organization concerning the
LC classification of publications associated with gender issues - they
provided me with some specific examples of materials associated with
transgender issues that are shelved with materials related to deviancy.
This has raised concerns with many of our students who support diversity
and inclusion programs on campus.

A response from a cataloger is as follows: " As you know, the Library of
Congress classification system does have a few idiosyncrasies, and
issues where social change is involved frequently end up in odd places.
It originated in 1899 and has gone through several editions.  But once
class numbers are assigned, it happens infrequently that they are moved,
and even less frequently that materials are reclassified.
Transgender/Gay/Lesbian material is not alone, or even unique in its
awkward placement.  As far as I know, there has been no
reclassification"

I would be most interested in comments from ARLIS/NA colleagues
concerning this topic.

Jane A. Carlin
Director, Collins Memorial Library
University of Puget Sound