Although this doesn't specifically address Kathy Edwards's original query, I concur with the excellent points presented in Raymond  Smith's follow-up posting, and would likewise encourage librarians always to check with reliable vendors and never assume that the only available copies of a particular title are those advertised on ABE or similar sites. As Mr. Smith notes, once a seller has listed a title on ABE at an inflated price, other less-than-knowledgeable booksellers may follow suit, and a widely available title suddenly appears to be a rare commodity.

From our own experience, we know of one seller (I assume this is the same outfit to which Mr. Smith refers) who has copied thousands of Worldwide's bibliographic records from our Web site, and then posted the records on ABE and on other book sites as their own. Our carefully prepared page and illustration counts, title citations and translations, and on occasion even our own descriptive commentaries have been copied verbatim without our permission. Only two things are changed: the prices (which are routinely 10 to 20 times our own), and the addition of such notes as "flawless copy, brand new, pristine, never opened" to each entry. Before we became aware of this interesting business model of a bookseller advertising "rare" books they don't actually have in stock, we received a number of rush orders from this vendor, presumably to be resold at a grotesque profit to the unsuspecting purchasers who had responded to "their" listings -- all without the hassle and expense of purchasing and maintaining inventory, preparing entries, and otherwise functioning as a reputable bookseller.

Although Worldwide Books is not an antiquarian dealer per se, our complete inventory of more than 20,000 in-stock titles published since the 1960s is searchable through our own Web site, and we are readily able to supply many titles that have been declared out of print by their publishers. However, we remind clients that few of our titles are listed on ABE or on other such sites (at least not by us).

Kelly M. Fiske

Worldwide Books
1001 West Seneca Street
Ithaca, NY 14850 USA