From: ART LIBRARIES SOCIETY DISCUSSION LIST [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gary Ginther
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 1:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] Thanks to all respondents to query about access to/control of expensive materials

Kathy:

I'd like to echo Shannon's advice. I have (2) large format scanners and
they are in almost constant use. I still don't know the full impact (did
theft/vandalism decrease significantly), but our conservator says we're
sending fewer books for repair.

Best,

Gary

--On Tuesday, February 24, 2009 11:27 AM -0800 Shannon Van Kirk
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Kathy,
> If you don't have a scanner available for student use, you might consider
> it.  This will help prevent vandalism of non-circulating materials.
> Architecture students need those illustrations, and, at Miami University
> school of Architecture, the students responded well when we installed a
> scanner in a place convenient for their use.  We ended up needing two
> scanners to handle the volume.
>
> Tip--put it at a stand-up station.  People are less likely to settle in
> for a long session of scanning if they are standing.  We also had a
> notice right on the workstation about what kind of portable media worked
> for carrying away the scanned files, which were deleted every couple of
> days.
>
> --shannon van kirk
> formerly Head of the Art/Arch Library at Miami University.
>

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Kathy Edwards
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>

> Learning from your responses, we've devised a new policy for our
> collection: Items with a replacement value of $200 or more will be
> restricted to the  permanent reserves shelf in our main public area, for
> library use only.
>
> Many thanks for your thoughts, opinions, and insights!
>

> Kathy Edwards
>
> Arts & Architecture Librarian
>
> Gunnin Library
>
> Clemson University
>
> 656-4289

Gary J. Ginther, Fine Arts Librarian

Bibliographer: Art, Interdisciplinary Art,
Visual Communications, Interior Architecture.

Alden Library - Fine Arts