Some answers to the Krazy Kat phantom book:

My husband is a nationally-renowned comic retailer who has specialized in
art and historical comics for the better part of the past two decades.

He has not seen the Marschall/Blackbeard book in print. His theory is that
Blackbeard and Marschall, working with Henry Holt, had completed their work
at about the same time as Patrick McDonnell's book with Abradale
(Abrams)[The komplete kolor Krazy Kat] came out. (N.B. Marschall, the second
author of the phantom book contributed to the editing and wrote an
introduction to this volume.

Henry Holt probably dropped the book once they saw that Abrams had the
market on a similar publication; therefore, if you are using art book
catalogs/ distribution, this would explain the discrepancy.

Do contact the Cartoon Art Museum in San Francisco.

It is Bill Blackbeard's operation (the first author of the phantom
publication). A call to him would probably help in gaining information about
the material.

The Comics Research Libraries list (made available through Michigan State
University, at) cites info on the Comic Art Museum as follows:

CONTACT: Administrator, Cartoon Art Museum, 814 Mission Street., Suite 200,
San Francisco, California 94103. Phone: 415/227-8666. Fax: 415/243-8666.
Curator's e-mail: [log in to unmask] Website: www.cartoonart.org

In general, comics are a different beast from traditional art and art
publishing collections. Going with libraries that have dedicated comic book
& history collections and looking through their catalogs may yield more
fruitful searches.

Finding these collections is aided by use of the Comics Research Libraries
List, available at http://www.lib.msu.edu/comics/director/comres.htm

Hope this helps

Mandy Mastrovita

--