Hi, everyone!

When you think about the current economic climate in our institutions
and traveling to the conference, please also think about applying for an
ARLIS/NA Travel Award.  There are several different categories and we
invite you to view them at
http://www.arlisna.org/about/awards/awards_index.html.  You might be
surprised by what you are eligible to apply for!  There are a variety of
awards ranging from $750 to $1,000!

The deadline of March 1 is approaching soon!

If you have any questions about the Travel Awards, please do not
hesitate to contact me at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

With warm regards,

Jennifer Friedman, Chair, Travel Awards Committee

Henri, Janine wrote:

> Hi Anne,
>

> I believe that some ARLIS/NA members have always 'felt the pinch!'
> I've never received full funding from my employers to attend an
> ARLIS/NA conference, but have been fortunate to work where time off to
> attend conferences was always granted.  I figured that it was up to me
> to try to pay for some professional expenses out of my salary, since
> networking in person with my colleagues has always been important to
> me (as is viewing vendor exhibits).  When I started to itemize
> deductions on my taxes, I found that the unfunded part of my
> conference attendance was deductible (meals are only partly
> deductible, but then we have to eat no matter where we are don't we!),
> so that's been a help.  There have been times when I've shared a room
> with three others (sharing a bed with a colleague) in order to be able
> to attend the entire conference: that turned out to be a great way to
> develop close friendships!; sometimes another option was to have a
> third roommate on a roll-away bed.  I've been known to bring granola
> bars, peanut butter, crackers, & fruit with me in order to cut down on
> meal expenses.  And don't forget to investigate opportunities to apply
> for travel awards.
>

> By the way, I know of at least one colleague that did not even get
> paid time off to attend the ARLIS/NA conference, so he took his
> personal vacation time in order to attend.  It was that important to him.
>

> I think that our conference planners always try to do everything they
> can to keep the conference costs down---and they are to be commended
> for that.  I look at registration costs for other professional
> association conferences and still think that we're getting a bargain!
>

> Best,
>

> Janine Henri
>
> Architecture, Design, and Digital Services Librarian
>
> UCLA Arts Library
>
> 1400 Public Affairs Building
>
> Box 951392
>
> Los Angeles, CA 90095-1392

> office: 310-206-4587
>
> fax: 310-825-1303

Jennifer Friedman, Collections Manager and Public Services Librarian
Rotch Library of Architecture and Planning
Building 7-238, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139
Tel: (617) 258-5595    Fax: (617) 253-9331