It is with great pleasure that we announce – Pratt-

SILS Summer 2009 International Programs:

·        Florence in partnership with

SACI  School of Art in Florence and

·        London in partnership with University College London, SLAIS

We invite LIS students and librarians to apply for this exciting global learning experience focusing on art research and conservation

Florence - a newly expanded 6-credit program with SACI, 4-weeks, May 21-June 19, 2009

Now in its 6th year, we are happy to announce our new partnership with the SACI school of art in Florence.

This exciting 6-credit program consists of two 3-credit courses that run concurrently during this 4-week program.

1. Florentine Art and Culture, Museum & Library Resources and Documentation and

2. Cultural Heritage Conservation focusing on paper conservation (rare books and manuscripts) taught by leading Italian conservationists of the SACI Faculty. As a seminar/ workshop the course includes hands-on work and museum visits.

Through our collaborative program with SACI, an internationally recognized art school situated in the center of Florence at the Palazzo Cartelloni, students will have access to a fine art library, studio/ classrooms, Internet access and Palazzo gardens as well as student apartments to truly enjoy the Florence experience - this promises summer to be our best ever session. As in summer 08, there will be a special excursion to Bologna visiting libraries and museums led by Prof. Cristina Pattuelli, a native of this renowned university center, and a trip to Siena guided by the program's instructor, Prof. Anthony Caradonna to explore the art and architecture of this well-preserved medieval town.

Visit the Florence program Website for complete information and application: http://sils.pratt.edu/pratt-saci.html

Program Costs:

Tuition:  $5,400 = cost of the two 3-credit courses calculated at regular Pratt-SILS tuition

Student Activity Fee: $350

Housing: SACI student apartment, double occupancy - $1,470 for full term of program, 4+ weeks, May 21 to June 19, 2009

RT airfare: about $750 - students make arrangements for their own travel.

London- a 3-credit program with UCL SLAIS: 2 weeks, June 15-26, 2009

As we approach our thirs Summer School on E-Publishing in partnership with University College London, School of Library, Archive and Information Science (UCL SLAIS) culminating with the 3nd Bloomsbury Conference on E-Publishing and Publications, we look forward to building on last season’s exciting program.  This summer as with last, there will be trips to Cambridge University Library and Proquest, Oxford University Press and the Bodleian, the National Archives in Kew as well as lectures by leading English publishers.  Taught by the distinguished faculty of UCL SLAIS and led its Director, Prof. David Nicholas and :Program Coordinator Prof. Anthony Watkinson, students will have the opportunity to learn from international leaders in information science and publishing.

Please visit the London Web site for detailed information and application and where you will also find links to last year’s Summer School and 2nd Bloomsbury Conference.

London Website: http://sils.pratt.edu/london.html

Summer School 08: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/infostudies/epublishing-summerschool

/

2nd Bloomsbury Conference: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/infostudies/e-publishing/

Program Costs:

Tuition:  $2,700 (regular Pratt-SILS tuition for a 3-credit course)

International fee:  $200

Housing: Astor College dorm at UCL SLAS – 30 pounds per night includes English breakfast

RT Airfare:  about $650 - students make arrangements for their own travel.

As enrollment is limited, we encourage you to apply as early as possible.

To reserve you place for Florence or London you must submit a $400 deposit applied toward tuition.

Non Pratt students should include an application fee of $50.00.

As we get closer to the Summer I start dates, we will be posting detailed day by day schedules showing lectures, activities and visits.

Please contact the SILS office if you have any questions or need further information.

Phone: 212-647-7682  email: Quinn Lai, Research and Academici Assistant  - [log in to unmask]

All best wishes,

Dean Giannini

Tula Giannini, PhD

Dean

Pratt, School of Information & Library Science

144 West 14th Street 6th fl.

New York, NY 10011

http://pratt.edu/~giannini