Dear fellow-Arlisians,

I have just dutifully joined the Facebook "Arlisians" group, but I have to ask:  Are any Arlisians out there at all concerned that "Arlisia" is actually a real word with quite distinctive - and perhaps not entirely desirable –connotations for us and for our profession?

According to the Encyclopedia Britannica (11th edition, article on “Palaeobotany), "Arlisia" are "curious, transversely-ribbed [floral] fossils."  Now, colleague, I ask you: Do you see many curious, transversely-ribbed fossils at ARLIS/NA meetings?  Or for that matter in your art library (on your side of the reference desk, that is; bolder souls may jump in to defend our patrons from slander)?

Now I wouldn’t want to deny that with a bit of effort we could try to find our likeness in the dictionary definition of “Arlisia.”  While the EB writer surely used “curious” in the pejorative sense (i.e., odd), we tend, like all members of the genus homo bibliothecarius, to be curious in the good sense; and thus even those of us who don’t regard ourselves as odd might qualify as “curious.”  And while I don’t think a librarian anatomist would classify us as “transversely-ribbed” in the technical sense – that technical term is mostly applied to plants, plumbing pipes, and – let us be candid – various exotica for sale in, for example, the West Village – we do of course have ribs more or less perpendicularly-disposed vis-à-vis our spines.  Similarly, no one would deny that some of us are more “floral” than others, nor that some few of us are, in our later years for the most part, described – uncharitably if not necessarily altogether inaccurately – as “fossils.”  But do we really want to work this hard to deserve being described as "curious, transversely-ribbed [floral] fossils”?

Now it’s also worth reflecting that the word “Arlisia” is actually plural – and thus if we insist upon being associated with the word, we should really call ourselves, as a group, “Arlisia” not Arlisians, should reserve “Arlisian” for adjectival uses, and should find another name (Arlisium?) for the realm we plan to inhabit.  And perhaps Arlisium should be consigned to Second Life where few palaeobotanists will discover it and add to the already rich thesaurus of stereotypes about librarians.  We might even be able to market bottled water “fresh from Arlisian wells” and build an endowment for ARLIS/NA.

Respectfully submitted by

Max Marmor