Poster Collection: UK University seeking US partner for JISC/NEH Transatlantic Digitisation Collaboration Grant

Dear ARLIS North America Colleagues

At the University of Northampton in the UK we have an extensive poster archive. It is one of the largest and most varied poster collections in the UK and contains around 8,000 historic posters dating from the 1890s to the 1990s. The oldest and arguably most interesting part of the archive was donated by Osborne Robinson - around 2000 posters from the 1890s to the 1970s, known as the Osborne Robinson Poster Collection. Osborne Robinson was a scenic artist at the Northampton Repertory Theatre, who spent several years teaching at US universities. There has been a recent call for bids for JISC/NEH Transatlantic Digitisation Collaboration Grants (see the links below) and we'd like to find a US partner willing to collaborate with us on a bid. The US partner would need a complementary collection that would benefit from digitisation or a collection that is already digitised but that would benefit from being  pooled with our collection to create a cohesive, freely accessible digital archive.  Examples of a complementary collection might include another poster collection, illustrative material with similar themes to our collection (see below), or graphic material with links to Osborne Robinson. The deadline for completed bids is noon on March 26th.

Strong themes within the Osborne Robinson Poster Collection include:

- travel and transport posters (mainly Europe and America)
- theatre posters (mainly Europe and America)
- art exhibition posters (mainly Europe and America)
- Eastern European posters, notably from Poland

Themes within the rest of the poster archive include advertising and commerce posters.

Links:
- NEH http://www.neh.gov/grants/guidelines/JISC.html
- JISC http://www.jisc.ac.uk/fundingopportunities/funding_calls/2008/12/grant1308.aspx

If you think you have a complementary collection and you would like to discuss the possibility of a joint bid, please contact me.

Best wishes,

Georgina

Georgina Payne BA (Hons) MSc MCLIP PGCTHE FHEA

Academic Support Manager

Schools of the Arts and Applied Sciences

Department of Information Services

University of Northampton

St George's Avenue

Northampton

NN2 6JD

Tel: 01604 893176

Mobile: 07889063044

Fax: 01604 718819

Website: http://library.northampton.ac.uk <http://library.northampton.ac.uk

This e-mail is private and may be confidential and is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient you are strictly prohibited from using, printing, copying, distributing or disseminating this e-mail or any information contained in it.

We virus scan all E-mails leaving The University of Northampton but no warranty is given that this E-mail and any attachments are virus free. You should undertake your own virus checking. The right to monitor E-mail communications through our networks is reserved by us.