Dear ARLIS Members-

For the past two years I've worked as a consultant with the U.S.
Department of State providing workshops, lectures, webcasts, and even
radio interviews throughout Latin America on the use of Web 2.0
technologies.  I liked how Sarah Falls encapsulated the use of Web 2.0,
"they are all a part of a big puzzle where the pieces to not fit
seamlessly."  In my workshops, I always mention that social networking
sites, such as Facebook and Myspace are NOT replacements for a
organization's Website, listserv, or any other form of communication
means.  It is a tool that can help us outreach to folks who may or may
not be aware of our cause, in this case art librarianship.  Social
networking sites are here to stay and they can certainly help ARLIS
outreach to new members and old.

BTW, I am not saying that everyone should go out and get a social
networking account, but I do believe that ARLIS should have a presence
there and allow people (not just members) to learn about ARLIS.  With
that said, ARLIS should probably have a policy that says that it will
use the ARLIS listserv as it's primary form of formal communication.
For example, statements by the ARLIS President will go on the ARLIS
listserv.  Therefore, members should be encouraged to subscribe to
ARLIS-L.

Thanks!!

-Mario

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~