Meanwhile, some of our ALA-member colleagues are getting together in
Second Life for Midwinter - ALA promoted nonetheless!
http://www.ala.org/ala/newspresscenter/news/pressreleases2009/january2009/alasecondlifemw.cfm

I'm not into Second Life but in tough economic times, these other modes
of connecting could really come in handy.

One of the first things I did when I joined Facebook was to look for
ARLIS/NA or other art librarians on there (nada).  I've not kept up with
Facebook myself, but I think it would be a good idea to use social
networking sites to promote our profession more widely.

I both love and hate social networking because they break down a lot of
barriers to meeting and keeping up with folks.  It makes it a lot easier
to meet people you would not have the chance to meet just sitting in
your office.  A friend of mine will be traveling to Australia to stay
with a friend she met on a networking site for writers.  How cool is
that?!  One of my favorite things about ARLIS/NA is the opportunity to
meet other people in the field.  The more we get to know each other, the
better.  Especially when it comes time to identify new leaders for our
organization.

If there is an interest in exploring and (hopefully) launching official
sites for ARLIS/NA, I'd like to be a part of that.

As a side note, I know there are dozens of knitting fans in ARLIS.  If
you are one, look me up in Ravelry (AKA Stitchista).
https://www.ravelry.com/account/login

--
Heather Gendron
Art Librarian