This lag time for indexing has always been true for BHA.  I've been noticing and complaining about this for years.  I don't know whether practices have changed at BHA but one problem is that they only add new data on a quarterly basis and I've been told that the vetting process for adding records is so strict that it takes a year for vetting and then more time for adding the records.  This is really unacceptable in the online world where most databases are updated daily or weekly.

When ARLIS met in Atlanta, there was a session about the BHA and Avery which reported on findings from their user surveys.  At that time, the person presenting promised that the lag time was going to improve. At this point, it has not.  Example: the latest issue of Art Bulletin in BHA is 89:1 March 2007; the latest issue in Art Abstracts is 90:4 December 2008. When I teach, I always warn my grad students about this lag time and point them to other, more up-to-date, resources.

Perhaps this exposure on ARLIS-L will bring a response from the BHA editors about this issue and future plans.

Susan Davi
University of Delaware

Anne Haas wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
wow. you are right--i tried general things, (rennaisance, asian art) and
specifics, (picasso, gentileschi, klimt, van gogh) for 2008-2009, and
nada...if you put 2007-2009, you get hits...

i wonder if this is normal for indexing? anyone know?

Anne Haas
Art Librarian
Bowdoin College