Max,

I have always had my professional listservs automatically filtered to
specific local mailboxes. It  keeps everything intact and separate
from regular e-mail and you can view it anytime.

I also tend to view Facebook as non-professional social networking
and leave the various organizational sponsored listservs for the
professional stuff.  Honestly, do we really need to become "fans" of
ARLIS/NA or VRA on Facebook when we are already dues-paying members?

John

>Dear colleagues,
>
>Not surprisingly, it sounds like lots of us are trying to strike a
>balance that lets us stay attuned to the things our colleagues are
>doing and saying that interest us, while filtering out things that
>don't, so we can manage our time well.  It's been suggested that one
>can do this with a listserv by cultivating a quick trigger finger
>when it comes to hitting the delete button.  That's one solution.
>
>I wonder if I'm alone in having adopted another solution to this
>problem.  When I subscribe to a listserv like ARLIS-L, I immediately
>set my "preferences" to "no mail" so that no listserv postings at
>all will arrive in my in-box as email.  Then I simply bookmark the
>web archives for the listservs that interest me, and I consult them
>periodically, often several times a day, but only when I elect to do
>so.  I find this lets me manage the listservs rather than being
>managed by them, while still keeping up pretty well.  And it is only
>fair to say that this probably makes me more tolerant of idle
>listserv postings like my own of last Saturday re "Arlisia" - it's
>easy to tolerate what you can easily filter out!
>
>Just in case listserv web archives aren't familiar to everybody,
>here's how it works.  In the case of ARLIS-L, when you want to see
>what's up on the list, you can go to the web archive at
><http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html>http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html
>(as instructed on the ARLIS/NA web site page devoted to ARLIS-L; see
><http://www.arlisna.org/about/arlisl.html>http://www.arlisna.org/about/arlisl.html).
>There you can peruse postings for any given month (including the
>current one) sorted in any of a variety of ways: by date (most
>recent first, or in chronological order) or by topic or author, etc.
>You can also search the entire archive and you can respond (to the
>list or an individual) via the web.  These browse features of the
>ARLIS-L web archive are entirely typical of most such archives, and
>this very standardization makes it quite easy to scan multiple list
>archives efficiently.  Some browsers, of course, let you create a
>"tab group" and to conveniently open several archives at once if
>you're so inclined.
>
>What one loses in this mode is instant awareness of every listserv
>posting, but there are probably other folks who, like me, would
>sacrifice that for the ability to stay relatively current while
>still consulting the listserv postings selectively and only when one
>chooses to do so, rather than having to assume a defensive posture,
>with finger poised over the delete button.
>
>Apologies if the whole world already knows that most listservs have
>such web archives and that they have their uses.  Since it hadn't
>been mentioned in this email chain, I thought I'd mention it.
>
>Best,
>
>Max Marmor

John J. Taormina
Director, Visual Resources Center
Dept. of Art, Art History & Visual Studies
Duke University
Box 90764
112 East Duke Building
Durham  NC 27708-0764

Ph: 919-684-2501
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://www.duke.edu/web/art/

"Education is what survives when what has been learnt has been forgotten."

"Everyone should own at least one feather boa."

Aretha Franklin: "No, darling, I'm not in love no more, and that's
when it's really good, when you don't want him no more. That's when
it's the best."