Dear ARLIS colleagues,

One of our modern art doctoral students is teaching an interesting
class this spring that includes dance.  Specifically, she would like to
show some historic film footage - below are the four in particular she
would especially want.  I can't find that they are available anywhere
for purchase, or have been converted to DVD.  It seems that NYPL owns
them, according to OCLC, but not many other places (?).

I would appreciate any words of wisdom from you who are more
experienced in this area about how I might best proceed to acquire (long
shot, I realize) or otherwise gain access to some of this footage.  Any
advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please respond off list, if you have any suggestions.

Here are the 4 videos:

"Dance USA" - Wayne McGregor;  Martha Graham;  Janet Eilber; Deborah
Jowitt;  Christine Dakin;  Terese Capucilli;  Merce Cunningham; Gus
Solomons;  Paul Taylor;  Carolyn Adams;  Rudolf Nureyev;  David Gordon;
Valda Setterfield;  Trisha Brown;  Twyla Tharp;  Sara Rudner; Karen
Whiteside;  Fiona Morris;  Debra Cash;
2003 English  Visual Material  : Videorecording : VHS tape  1
videocassette (VHS, NTSC) (29 min.) : sd., col. with b&w sequences ; 1/2
in. U.K. : BBC Wales

"Dance of the century" - tape 3 of series of 4: Dance of the century
from modernism to post-modernism: American dance - Sonja Schoonejans;
Pierre-François Decouflé
1992 English  Visual Material  : Videorecording : Videocassette  1
videocassette (53 min.) : sd., b&w and col. NTSC ; 3/4 in. (U-matic)

"Judson Dance Theatre reconstructions" - Steve Paxton;  Carolee
Schneemann;  Aileen Passloff;  James Waring;  Deborah Hay;  Lucinda
Childs;  John Sanborn
1982 English  Visual Material  : Videorecording : Videocassette  1
videocassette (52 min.) : sd., col. NTSC ; 3/4 in. (U-matic)
Bennington College Judson Project. ; Danspace Project (New York)

"Grand Union in concert" - Barbara Dilley;  Steve Paxton;  Douglas
Dunn; Trisha Brown;  Nancy Lewis;  David Gordon
1972 English  Visual Material  : Videorecording : VHS tape  1
videocassette : sd., b&w ; 1/2 in.
The Grand Union dance company performs at a small gallery in New York
City.

As always, many thanks for your advice!

All best,

Don Juedes

_________________________________

Donald R. Juedes
Librarian for Art History, Classics, Near Eastern Studies, &
Philosophy
Interim Librarian (Fall 2008) for Film & Media Studies, English
Research Services
Milton S. Eisenhower Library of the Sheridan Libraries
Johns Hopkins University
3400 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21218-2683

410/516-0605