Many thanks to everyone who responded to my question about photographer
reference sources.  I have a number of good titles to look into now (if
anyone is curious I listed the sources that people recommended below).

Best,

Bettina

Bettina Smith

Art Cataloger

Folger Shakespeare Library

201 East Capitol St. SE

Washington, DC 20003

phone: 202-548-8774

www.folger.edu

- Index to American Photographic Collections [url
<http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/33866194> /eng];
- Macmillan biographical encyclopedia of photographic artists &
innovators [url <http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/8552746> /eng];
- Contemporary photographers [url
<http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/31010815&tab=details> /eng]
George Eastman House's telnet database: http://www.geh.org
<http://www.geh.org/>  (and their print and CD-ROM versions of the same
product)

a 3 volume set _Encyclopedia of twentieth-century photography_ ed. Lynne
Warren

the Gordon's Photography Price Annual that has information about 19th
and 20th C. photographers (gordonsart.com)

http://www.luminous-lint.com <http://www.luminous-lint.com/>

Encyclopedia of Nineteenth Century Photography.  New York: John Hannavy,
ed. Taylor & Francis, c2007.