Dearest Judy:

I've looked at the final issue of Umbrella Online and, of course, I cried.
The last image, "Closed Umbrella," by Natalia Kohen is very sad.  But none
of it is maudlin.  You have always been enthusiastic, articulate,
insightful, and brave and you continue to be.  You advanced my education
about contemporary art tremendously starting in January 1978 (!)  Well,
actually, starting in 1976, when we met just before the 1977 Los Angeles
conference, where you introduced me to L.A.

January 1978--that was volume 1, number 1 of Umbrella.  And now you've given
them all--all of these delightful, plum pudding issues to us forever!
(www.umbrellaeditions.com)

Of course, all of it had been available to ARLIS/NA before that--and we
turned our back on it.  Bad for us.  Good for you.  That sad circumstance
opened a much broader world to you that had already begun to come to your
doorstep rather than your traveling to it.  Enormous collections of artists'
books and mail art at UCLA and now at UC Santa Barbara and elsewhere testify
to that.  But you traveled to the art, too, bringing it back to us for over
thirty years!!

What a holiday present!  Thank you Judy for Umbrella--and for yourself.

Love, Joan