Hi Sheila,

There was a discussion on the topic of library gate counts several
years back at a "town hall" type meeting held in Chicago by the North
Central Association of Colleges and Schools  -- the primary
accrediting agency for colleges and universities in the midwest.  As
I recall, the general consensus among both the librarians and the NCA
representatives was that gate counts are not particularly relevant
measures of anything  -- but that they're easy to provide, since this
function is automated in most college libraries.  (Our security gate
has a counter.  We simply divide the counter number by two --
assuming that everyone who walked in also walked out. :-))

I worked in a museum library before coming to SAIC and my guess is
that "staff visits" require your attention, whether it's a curator
doing research, or someone from operations changing a
lightbulb.  Library staff time is still being utilized.

Instead of answering the challenge as delivered, however, you may
want to try to re-frame the discussion.  What gate counts and other
counts cannot illuminate is the potential of your collections, the
quality of the service that visitors receive or their satisfaction
with their experiences in your library.  We are struggling to develop
more qualitative measures of what our library provides, and frankly
it's tough -- especially in smaller libraries with limited
staffing.  Our counts happen to look good, and we're required to
report them, so we do produce a steady stream of numbers every year
but we try to keep the focus on more important things --  the
teaching we provide (information literacy), the learning
opportunities (hands-on experiences in special collections) and on
customer service/satisfaction -- not on the numbers alone.

What's working for us is to integrate our library mission more
effectively into the institution's mission.  In a college setting,
that means finding more creative ways to support teaching, learning,
and research.  We're currently working with faculty to develop
courses that will give students real problem-solving
responsibility/authority for some collections -- as well as
traditional learning opportunities.  Perhaps you could develop
similar projects in a museum library setting, engaging sections of
your community in projects of their own choice and making sure that
they -- your users -- are seen as more than "gate count" by your
administration.

Good luck!
Claire

======================================

Claire Eike
Director, The John M. Flaxman Library
The School of the Art Institute of Chicago
37 South Wabash Avenue
Chicago, Illinois  60603-3103
312-629-9379 voice
312-899-1465 fax