Paula,

The following artists' books and exhibition catalog deal with disease, and in particular, cancer.

Geller, Matthew.  DIFFICULTY SWALLOWING. NY: Works Press, 1981

Hall, Martha.  TATTOO. Orr's Island, ME: M. Hall, 2001

HOLDING IN, HOLDING ON: ARTIST'S BOOKS BY MARTHA HALL.  Northampton, MA: Smith College, Mortimer Rare Book Room, 2003

Underhill, Linn.  THIRTY FIVE YEARS/ ONE WEEK. Rochester, NY: Visual Studies Workshop Press, 1981

Martha Hall was a book artist who made several books relating to her struggle with breast cancer.  The Smith College exhibition catalog includes images and text of all of her books.  Sadly, she did not win this struggle, but her work is intensely personal and powerful.  I believe they still have copies of this catalog available for sale.

The other artists' books may be available at library collections near you.  I would look these titles up on Worldcat to check locations.

I hope these will be helpful.

Laurie

Laurie Whitehill Chong
Special Collections Librarian
The Fleet Library at RI School of Design
2 College Street
Providence, RI  02903

401.709.5927

>>> "Wolfe, Paula" <[log in to unmask]> 9/22/2008 11:49 AM >>>
A student is a printmaker and is interested in other contemporary
artists who develop art related to diseases? I am not aware of any but
will do some searching. Anyone think of a contemporary artist like this?
This student develops his artwork about cancer. Thanks.

Paula Wolfe
Fine Arts and Architecture Librarian
1015 N Olive Street
University of Arizona