Dear colleagues,

Thank you for all the comments about the upcoming vote on membership dues. We thought it would be helpful to provide some background on what has been a carefully considered decision to increase ARLIS/NA’s membership dues.

As you may recall, in early 2007, the Membership Committee conducted a survey to gather feedback on various options for changing the membership structure, including tiered scales and a la carte options for individual benefits. These proposed changes were based on research conducted by committee members to compare fee structures among similar associations. We also took into account the results of the Assessment Task Force Survey. Survey respondents expressed a clear preference against introducing tiered membership levels and keeping the structure as simple as possible. Based on this feedback, the committee developed a proposal for a revised fee structure, which was reviewed and approved by the Board.

Members responding to the survey also expressed a desire for improved programming, while also maintaining existing services. As you know, costs for current programs and services have risen over time. New initiatives, such as the ARLIS/NA archives and MemberClicks, require additional resources. Thus, the current proposal to increase dues reflects the need to provide more financial support to both sustain and improve our Society.

As Rachel Resnick, former chair of the Membership Committee, explained in an earlier email, dues have not been raised for Individual members since 1998 and have not reflected the rate of inflation over the last decade. By contrast, Institutional/Business Affiliate dues were raised 38-45% in 2004. If you compare 1998 membership dues to the current 2008 proposed dues, Individual memberships will increase by 41%, while Institutional/Business Affiliate dues increased by 81-90% over the same period.

We realize that the additional $35 will be a burden for individuals. The Membership Committee has struggled with the concerns expressed by members. We also want to keep the Society accessible to new members, which is reflected in the retention of the Student membership level and the introduction of an Introductory category. In the end, membership revenue is extremely important for the health of the Society and the proposed increases are necessary for its sustainability. We hope that the membership will consider these issues as you deliberate your vote on the dues increase.

Sincerely,

ARLIS/NA Membership Committee

Laurel Bliss

Margaret Boylan