The last couple years have been years of special reflection for me. Turning 62 this year as well as the death of my father last year have meant thinking a great deal about what I really want to do with my time. While there is much about working in an academic cataloging department that is very satisfying, there is also much that I would like to do that cannot happen while I am employed fulltime. There are the good meetings with discussion of new trends, plans for new services, arguments over arcane MARC fields, and then there are the others.

The next few years in the Technical Services Department at New York University Libraries, where I work, will be ones of a physical move to swing space (above ground?!?!) and then to a new space devoted to the department. Not really offsite but out of the library building. This just seems like the moment to retire from the Monday-Friday and 9-5 life rather than spending three years packing, moving, adjusting, packing, moving, adjusting, and then retiring.

I plan on indulging myself in some piecework cataloging jobs, reading, travel, whatever. I also plan on going to Toronto for VRA and Indianapolis for ARLIS/NA. I'll probably keep coming to the conferences until they knock me out. No immediate plans to stop doing any of my professional stuff but I plan on moving to Alfred, New York to the family homestead.

I'm taking out a membership in the AARP-SIG. Move over, Wolfgang, Bill, Joan, BJ, Janis, Pat, here I come.

Sherman Clarke
New York University Libraries