My apologies, it appears I forgot to include my e-mail address in my previous post. Please send replies to [log in to unmask]

Thank you,
Jacqueline Rogers

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacqueline Rogers
Sent: Thu 8/14/2008 12:43 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Library in a box

Dear Collective Wisdom,

Provisions Library has been approached by an artist who, inspired by the narrowly avoided reduction in hours/closings of Washington, D.C. public branch libraries, would like to work in collaboration with Provisions to create what are essentially satellite branches of Provisions. The following is what I know of the artist's project plan so far. He envisions small, locked boxes containing 8-10 books to be placed in lower-income neighborhoods around DC. "Membership" to the "library" would be granted by mailing a form located on the box to Provisions, which would in turn mail a key to the individual. Books would be borrowed on the honor system, and it is understood by the artist/library that we may never get them back. Books for the project would be supplied (hopefully) by donation. The artist and Provisions staff would initially select the books, although requests by those using the library will be considered if they fit within Provisions' scope. The boxes might incorporate a light element, such as a skylight or even a solar-powered light source. The boxes would be sized for 8-10 books, plus space where users of the library would be encouraged to leave self-created artwork (drawings, paintings, poetry, etc.) inspired by the reading material or other artwork on display. The effect would be a dialog between and among the library and its users. The artist hopes to place the boxes on private property, thus avoiding the need for city permissions. He hopes that each box eventually will be adopted by a private group, such as a church group or community club. I believe the artist understands the multitude of services that a public library brings to a community beyond providing free access to books, and in no way believes a book box could supplant a closed library branch. This project is intended as a stand-alone artwork/experiment/(service?). At this time he does not intend to consult or contact the DC Public Library or any of its staff regarding this project. Provisions' Director has granted the artist the Library's support with this project, and so I am now coming to you for advice.

At the artist's request, I am looking for examples of similar projects and advice on how to build the box in a way that will (relatively) protect the books and artwork from the elements. Have any of you heard of similar projects? I have found examples of portable and traveling libraries from the 19th and early 20th centuries, such as the Lighthouse Traveling Library (http://www.michiganlights.com/lhlibrary.htm) and the New York Public Library's traveling library system, but I am trying to find contemporary examples. I am also interested in your opinions, as librarians, about the project and its implications. Please reply off-list.

Thanks in advance,

Jacqueline L. Rogers
Volunteer Librarian
Provisions Library
1875 Connecticut Avenue NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20009
(202) 299-0460
http://provisionslibrary.org/
http://signalfire.provisionslibrary.org/

"Provisions is an arts and social change learning resource that amplifies compelling voices that challenge and redefine the mainstream.  Its library and online services are a trusted source for alternative perspectives on a wide range of social change topics and its innovative exhibitions strongly engage the arts as a powerful means of exploring social issues and as an agent of change."