Dear all,
A little while ago I posed a question to the group and some requested that the responses be shared with the list. Below is my question and the wonderful responses. Thanks to all, especially those who got in touch with colleagues and/or associates in Italy for more information!
 <Is there a specific term for the light reflected off the water of Venice onto the underside of bridges and perhaps ceilings??  A colleague at the public library called with this question from a patron of hers. It is beyond my knowledge and I have exhausted our resources here. Is there such a term? (The closest I have been able to get is perhaps a variant usage of the term cangianti.)>
 - "cangiante" is an adjective which is associated with colour more than with light. I suggest something like . . ."il riflesso vibrante" or "mobile dell'acqua"...".

- I believe that the phenomenon you inquire about is referred to in English as "atmospheric light."  Whether or not there is an Italian term for it, I'm not sure, but this might be a start.

- Our Director of Education sent this reply when I asked if she knew: “Let me know if they are looking for an Italian word, or an English one.I don’t have my Italian dictionary here, but could ask Italian friends. . .Meanwhile, cangianti is pretty good; it translates as “shifting” or “shimmering” (as in light reflecting off a surface.)  In French, it’s “changeant”, same concept.  Used by art historians to describe the effect of light shimmering off the surface of silks, and the shifting colors that often produces, for example.  “Changeant” is often used by English speakers (esp. art historians), as there really isn’t an equivalent in English.”You might get a definitive answer from someone else, but in the meantime you have this.  I imagine you’ll settle for English or Italian.

- I don't know of a specific term, but I do know of an instance where someone mistakenly thought "limpid" was the specific term: when I was an undergrad, two different art history professors referred to "limpid light" when describing Venetian scenes so consistently (and reverently) that one of my cohort thought "limpid" meant "Venetian."

- This is a pretty late response to your question, which I forwarded to a co-worker.  She in turn asked her Italian (unfortunately not from Venice!) sister-in-law, who replied: Oh, dear, I have no idea! I can visualize perfectly what she describes, but I don't know that there is a specific term for it, other than riflesso (i.e., il riflesso dell'acqua sul soffitto o sotto il ponte).
What a curious questions! People must really think that librarians know everything!

Thank you again to all! The public librarian who asked the question of me was delighted!
Best wishes
Joyce

Joyce Weaver

Librarian