Colleagues,

I’ve recently changed positions and moved from a state university library to a small, historical library.  The library at Mount Vernon consists of approximately 15,000 items (books, serials, non-print, rare books, archives, etc.) and I plan to embark on a retrospective conversion project in the near future.  At this point, I'm investigating data conversion vendors and integrated library systems.  While I can find lists of vendors, I value the experiences of others:

1.       If you work in a similarly small collection (with a limited budget) and are willing to share your experiences, I will be most appreciative.

2.       If you recommend or don’t recommend a vendor or interface, I will find that helpful.

3.       Did you do your conversion yourself or in conjunction with a library consortium?

4.       If you have selected an open source solution like Evergreen, what kind of in-house support was needed? What do you see as advantages/disadvantages to open source?

5.       Are there questions you can suggest I ask when speaking with different companies?

Thanks in advance.

Joan

Joan Stahl

Librarian