We know many of you were out of town this  month when we first sent out our call for 2009 Conference Program proposals, and many others have great ideas, but just haven’t gotten around to submitting a proposal yet.

We are extending the deadline for Program Proposals to June 15th, 2008.  That will give you all several more weeks to think about both what you would like to see most at next year’s conference in Indianapolis, and what you would like to share with your colleagues.

Our conference theme is “Circle City Convergence”. Please consider some of the following:

 - The “Convergence” of traditionally discrete resources and user services into unified “Art Information Commons” facilities.

- The “Convergence” (or lack thereof) of institutional structures and hierarchies in the areas of reference, collection development, pedagogical support, and staffing

- The “Convergence” of entertainment media, fine art, and technology to create new disciplines in Art, such as Visual Studies, Imaging Science, Gaming, and any number of new digital art forms

- The “Convergence” of new technologies to create increasingly sophisticated and demanding user populations

- The “Convergence” of the institutional and the private on many levels of user needs and services

- The “Convergence” of our professional identity with many others, especially in the areas of Museum Information, Special Collections, Digital Libraries, Metadata, and Visual Literacy, and how that impacts our educational needs, our jobs, and our continuing education

- The “Convergence” of our physically unique collections, services, and funding into unified, megalithic resources such as GoogleBooks and ARTstor

-The “Convergence” of traditional libraries and “Going Green”

In addition to “Convergence” we would also like to highlight some of the unique resources and “personality” of Indianapolis, Bloomington, and Columbus, and encourage you to think about:

Architecture of Sport

Africa, Oceania and the Americas

Human sexuality (Kinsey)

Urban Renewal and the Arts

So take a few minutes to be visionary, creative, insightful, and/or concerned. Contact a few colleagues, post a message on the list, formulate an idea or two. Then go to:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=Tlp4ODgxbWo_2fx_2f2Lco3Cfg_3d_3d

and send it in. Even if you just have a great idea for a session, workshop, or Poster topic, send it in.  We can take individual ideas and bring them together.

Help us make ARLIS/NA 37 in Indianapolis a conference that will be challenging and meaningful.

Eileen Fry and Tony White

2009 Programming Co-Chairs