Hi everybody,

Some of you may have seen Milan Hughston and myself present on a study of the Brooklyn Museum, Frick, Metropolitan Museum of Art, and Museum of Modern Art library holdings. While I've waved the paper report during my presentation, I thought some of you might actually like to read it! You'll find it "An Art Resource in New York: The Collective Collection of the NYARC Art Museum Libraries" (.pdf: 136K/18 pp.) at http://www.oclc.org/programs/publications/reports/2008-02.pdf.

The findings presented are based on a collection analysis of the aggregate NYARC library collection, the extent of holdings overlap as well as uniquely held materials. The report compiles statistics about specific types of materials the consortium held a special interest in, such as auction catalogs, exhibition catalogs and serials. It also includes a comparison of the NYARC holdings to a set of three local research libraries (New York Public Library, New York University and Columbia University), as well as a west-coast peer institution (Getty Research Institute), which provides additional context for the findings.

I've posted some more thoughts triggered by the conversation after the panel at ARLIS on our blog (http://hangingtogether.org/?p=417). Enjoy!

Günter

***

Günter Waibel