The Grand Hyatt, between 17th and 18th on Welton Street in downtown Denver, is one block from the 16th Street Mall, and is situated between the Civic Center to the southeast, and Lower Downtown, or LoDo, to the northwest, with a variety of places close by to eat, drink, and walk. The 16th Street Mall shuttle service, which goes from the civic center to LoDo, is free.

The main entrance to the Grant Hyatt is located off Welton Street, in the breezeway between the hotel and conference center.  A twenty-foot sandstone fireplace graces the lobby, with cocktails available in the Fireside Terrace Lounge in the evenings.  The hotel restaurant, 1876, is around the corner from the lobby.  The renovated rooms in the 26-story hotel are attractive and comfortable, decorated with natural colors.  Recreational facilities include a small, indoor pool and a small exercise room with weights, cycles, and stair climbers, with an adjacent outdoor rooftop jogging track and a tennis court. Across the hotel breezeway is the entrance to the Hyatt Conference Center, with a Starbucks to the left of the entry.  The main floor of the Conference Center is an atrium space, with a 24-hour business center to one side and the elevators on the other.

The conference will be held in two areas of the hotel property: on the second floor and in Mt. Sopris (lobby level) of the hotel itself, and in the Conference Center across the breezeway.

To get to the second floor of the hotel, take an elevator or, from the lobby, take the escalator near 1876.  At the top of the escalator, go left to find the Registration/Hospitality Desk, the Internet Café, and the Exhibits Hall; turn right to get to the Grand Ballroom, where we will hold Convocation, the Membership Meeting, and the Special Session Icon or Enclosure, and where we will hear our guest speakers, Patricia Limerick, Lawrence Argent, Trevor Dawes, Loriene Roy, and David Silver. [On Thursday, May 1, the Registration/Hospitality desk, open at 10 am, will be located in the lobby.]  When you pick up your registration packet at the hotel, check the conference program for floor plans of the hotel and the HCC to orient yourself.

Most of the sessions will be held in the Conference Center. To get to the Hyatt Conference Center (abbreviated in the conference program as HCC), go across the hotel breezeway, through the revolving doors, and follow the ARLIS/NA signs to the elevators, taking one to the second floor. The Conference Center rooms have large windows, with views of treetops and sky.  The rooms are on three sides of the second floor, with restrooms on the fourth.

The Welcome Party will be held on the 38th floor of the Conference Center, in the Capitol Peak Ballroom.  From here, we will enjoy music and food, as we watch the sun set over the Rockies.

We hope you will enjoy your stay at the Grand Hyatt, and we look forward to welcoming you to Denver.

Peggy Keeran
Local Arrangements Co-Chair