Hi,
We have just instituted an MFA in studio in the past few years in Art
and Design at Purdue University. In discussions with the graduate school
on having a graduate thesis option (we already have the non thesis type
of departmental paper and exhibition for the MFA)  one of the points
made in opposition to this thesis is the lack of adequate materials in
our library to support this research. How are the holdings of a research
library assessed  in light of the e-journals, digital databases, etc
that were once not even a factor in discussion? Is the physical volume
count (plus ILL)still a critical factor or is this mitigated by others
modes of accessing information for research? Has this effected the
graduate school's view of the viabililty of doing a MFA thesis at your
institution?

Thanks for your help.

Kathy

--

Kathy Evans

Slide Librarian
Purdue University
Division of Art and Design
Patti and Rusty Rueff Dept of Visual and Performing Arts
Yue-Kong Pao Hall of Visual and Performing Arts
552 West Wood Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2002

e-mail: [log in to unmask]
work: (765)-494-7666