Hi Jeff et al.

ARLIS-L is indeed archived.  You can find the archives at: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html.

And in fact I just found what I thought was a very constructive post from Bryan Loar about this topic.  I've pasted most of it below.  The discussion seems to have been primarily in August 2007 for those who are interested in seeing what people had to say about this issue.

******************
From Bryan:

I understand the concerns mentioned by several members.
The print version offers a historical snapshot of the society, and, together, they offer a historical overviewThe print version is easily annotatedThe print version is available in most cases (no need to access the Internet)The print version is portable
These
arguments focus on the print directory's ease of use as well as its
ability to be a tool for historical research.  However, there are
several advantages to an online directory.
Customization
- because the directory would be built using a relational database,
features like organizing members by geographical location could be
easily built into the systemEnvironmentally
friendly - the society would not send directories to member who are not
interested in the print version (something that is already practiced on
the online application form)Content is user driven - members will now have the ability to keep their contact information continuously up-to-dateOffline access - the PDF version could be kept locally at the member's machine, and the PDF is full-text searchable
believe that both have specific benefits.  Thus, I believe both should
be offered.  I think there may be an opportunity for Print On Demand
(POD) services.
For example, http://www.lulu.com offers
softcover books with coil or perfect binding.  For a 100 page, black
& white book bound either way, the production cost is $6.53.  The
postage is then calculated by Lulu.  The seller has the option to sell
at cost, and, when they do, Lulu's commission is waived.  Finally, the
seller has the option to set up a free online store.  The seller can
customize the store with their own banner image, etc.
assume if only some people want the print edition, we will loose our
volume printing discount with our current publisher.  Using a POD
service is one way we can offer our members the print directory at a
reasonable price.  Furthermore, the service will produce a far superior
quality product than that of a printed PDF.******************

rachel resnik

technical services
librarian