The University of Notre Dame Library is developing preservation and
retention guidelines for our collections and are interested in
learning what our colleagues have done in this area. Your responses
to all or any of the questions below would be greatly appreciated.

Please respond to me directly at [log in to unmask]  I will be happy to
collocate responses and share them with the list if the topic is of
interest to others.

Thank you.

1. If you have an institutional storage facility, what criteria are
used to determine what will be added to the facility versus what is
discarded? Are there cases when you discard print copies and rely on
a consortium or cooperative for preservation and access?

2. If you rely on a shared storage facility for preservation and
access, what subject areas are included?

3. For your institution, how many copies held locally constitute
"last copy"? How many copies held cooperatively constitute "last copy?"

4. Does your institution retain and bind copies of journals that
publish both print and online formats? Are you discarding or
retaining print volumes for which you have purchased online backfiles
to journal runs?

5. What criteria do you use to weed monographs? Do e-books impact the
criteria?

6. Has your institution developed a retention policy for print and
digital formats? For monographs and serials? Would you be willing to
share it?

Tracy Bergstrom
Special Collections Librarian for Digital Projects
University of Notre Dame Libraries
102 Theodore M. Hesburgh Library
Notre Dame, IN  46556