Could this be an International Dateline matter? That is, if he died on
January 1, 1998 in Australia, it would stil have been Dec. 31, 1997 in the
U.S. If so, I have no idea which date should be used.

Aside from that fanciful speculation, perhaps a query to an an Australian
library would help - someone there could look at a newspaper obituary or
other source.