Thank you, Sherman, for posting the very nice memoriam of Judith.  I,
too, was at Cornell from 1969-1971, although I do not recall meeting
you, Sherman, even though I was working for the Library system, but in a
rather lowly position, first in the law library as a stacks person and
then in the reserve room at the undergraduate library.  I was there
doing work as a Conscientious Objector.

When I transferred to the undergraduate library in July, as I recall, I
worked with Judith, as she was head of that department, before she moved
across the Quad to the Art and Architecture building to become Head of
the Library there. She was a terrific boss.  Although I came to Cornell
with an M.A. in art history, she showed me another side of library work,
which eventually sowed the seeds to my later decision to move from a
career in academic art history to art librarianship, which I did after
getting my Ph.D. in the former and then my M.L.S.

I fondly remember her sense of humor (she named her VW after a character
in one Wagner's operas), her broad interests, and our shared involvement
with musical theatre.  Although sadness is a part of everyone's life,
the phrase that comes to mind when I think of Judith is "joie de vivre".

When I returned to Ithaca in 1994 for a short visit, I was fortunate to
find Judith in her office.  No longer supervisor and boss, but
colleagues, we reminisced and shared professional tales.  As email and
the web became an increasing phenomenon, we stayed in touch on a more
regular basis.

I'll miss her, as I know others will and do.  Her requests for
recipients of contributions in her memory say much about her gentleness,
humility, social responsibility, and caring for others.

Blessings,

Jeffrey

Jeffrey Weidman, Ph.D.
Senior Librarian, Public Services & Collection Development
Spencer Art Reference Library
The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
4525 Oak Street
Kansas City, KS  64111