From: Sandra Barr [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2008 1:19 PM
To: Wolfe, Paula
Subject: Painting I was asking you about

Hello again from Sandra in carrel 323!

    I am trying to find a color photograph/jpg/whatever of the
following painting:

  Artist's (Austrian) name  is *Anton von Maron
  Date is c. *1765-7
  The portrait is of  *Bartolomeo Cavaceppi (a Roman sculptor who was a
friend of his)

         The artist Maron was famous for doing a portrait of J.
Winckelmann- the one of Winkc. in a red, fur lined robe.  I am working
on
Cavaceppi, but am now thinking the two works were done in the same year
and
may have been intended as pendants.  The Wincklemann image I've found-
but the Cavaceppi one only in blurry black and white.  The original is
supposed to be in the Galleria Palazzo Carpegna, Rome, which is the
current location of the Academy of St. Luke.  I've called and asked
about
it, e-mailed, no nothing.  There may be a copy in the Staatliche
museum in Berlin, I found one reference to it with the inventory number-
Inv. Nr. KdZ 9402 .  If anyone knows of any portaits of B. Cavaceppi,
I'd
love to know about them.

  Thanks ever so much, and do pop in whenever you need some junk food,
chances are, I'll have some in here! Sandra

it now.
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http:/mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62
sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ%20>