Many thanks for all the references.
Apparently the answer was "Stairway to Lenin" by by Zbig Rybczynski.
Regards,
Andre

"Some years ago, perhaps ten or so, I was
    watching cable TV (from San Diego) and
    stopped at a channel I can only assume was
    about art.  As I recall it was late evening, and
    typically they played classical or modern music,
    almost always accompanied by great visuals.
    What I recall was that a large number of people
    were climbing what seemed to be an endless
    stairway up and to the right.   It was surreal to
    be sure, but in step with the music.   They all
    dressed differently; were not ordinary in any way.
    It must have lasted for 15 or 20 minutes or more."

--
Andre Ambrus
Acting Visual Arts Librarian