I recently became aware that the National Gallery Technical Bulletin is
online via Ingenta (http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ng/ngtb).  Our
library is a long-time subscriber to the paper copy of this journal.  I
thought our subscription might entitle us to online access, so we got in
touch with Ingenta which referred our inquiry to Tom Windross at the
National Gallery.

He informed us that the paper-copy subscription (through a subscription
agent) is just that, a paper-copy only subscription.  What the National
Gallery is selling is an "institutional subscription to the Bulletin
Online, which includes access to the complete back catalogue online plus
a new print edition each year from the start of your inscription, costs
$400 per year."  Our subscription to the paper copy costs $50+ per
year.  I i can only assume that the $400 per year is because you get
access to the complete backfile.

Does anyone else out there find this as outrageous as I do?  Who can
afford to pay 8 times more to get the online version of something?  We
are perfectly willing to pay a one-time fee for the backfile access or
we are willing to have online access just to the years we subscribe to
from this point on.  Our library is not willing to pay over and over
again for access to a static backfile.  I have not been back in touch
with Tom Windross about this; I thought I would first get some feedback
from my colleagues.

Any thoughts or comments?  Thanks.
Susan

--