Oil drilling within sight of Robert Smithson's Spiral Jetty? Maybe the synergy would have been interesting to Smithson but what of the effect on the lake as well as the view. The letter below was forwarded to me and I thought ARLIS-L readers would be interested in knowing about this development.

If you are interested in more news about this matter, I found quite a bit by googling on "smithson spiral jetty oil drilling."

Sherman Clarke
New York University Libraries

Friends:

A request has been filed to permit oil drilling in the Great Salt Lake four miles the Spiral Jetty.  The proposed exploratory drilling,
subsequent infrastructure, and staging area would all be visible from the Jetty.

The State has not yet made a decision on this application.  Jonathan Jemming (formerly of my firm) is currently the Director of the Resource Development Coordinating Committee, which is gathering input from the public and various state agencies about the application.  Jonathan will be taking comments from the public until Feb. 13, 2008.  Please contact him and POLITELY tell him about your concerns, referencing Application No. 8853.  He can be reached at:

Jonathan Jemming 801-537-9023

The permit request, along with maps showing the location of the drilling can be found at: http://governor.utah.gov/rdcc/Y2008/08-8853.pdf

Please consider passing this information along to other arts-related organizations as well.  Out-of-state and international objections to the permit would be particularly helpful.

Sincerely,

Adam

Jones Waldo
Adam B. Price