A reminder that next Friday, Feb 22,  is the 19th Century Publishers'
Bindings Symposium at The Grolier Club in New York City, sponsored by
the New York Chapter of The Guild of Book Workers.

I will be speaking about the evolution of design on publishers'
bindings 1872 to 1929, and how I adapted the technique of textured
gold, used for single-die stamping during that period, for use in my
own bindings.

The first cover created using this technique is on the Limited
Edition of _American Decorated Publishers' Bindings, 1872-1929_,
using a computer to create optical effects formerly achieved by
engraving and etching methods. Digital design can be applied to hot
stamping foil and the 20-ton Kensol press for fine art
printmaking.  You can see this cover at
http://minsky.com/orderform-subscription1.htm

The entire collection in that catalog was purchased by The University
of Alabama, which has just put images of all 560 books online. Their
announcement of the Minsky Collection in PBO and how to access it is
on the Hoole Library blog:
http://coolathoole.blogspot.com/2008/02/minsky-collection-in-pbo-from-real-to.html

Pre-publication discount subscriptions are still available for the
next edition in the series, which will have a cover that explores
another new process based on book design of that period. This edition
shows 300 books with cover designs that were not in the previous
collection, including about 20 artists not represented there:
effect through Feb. 29. On March 1 there will be a price increase.

If you are interested in acquiring the new collection of 300
publishers' bindings for your library before it goes to public
auction, please contact me.

Best regards,
Richard