Hi Terrie, I would buy a general survey book as others have recommended,
but for the other four titles I would look for materials on the art and
architecture of the region.

You probably need to make a field trip to Dubai to select those wisely,
of course. :-)

Marsha

Wilson, Terrie wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>

> My institution is establishing a campus in Dubai.  There will be a
> library presence, including a small print collection.  Bibliographers
> have been asked to supply titles of 5 books that would best represent
> their disciplines.  Here are the criteria:
>

> 1)Current imprints only
>
> 2)English language
>
> 3)Appeals to "a very general population of university students who
> have general studies needs"
>

> These can be reference books, but they must fit the criteria and we
> must not have them online.  My first thought was something along the
> lines of the current Gardner's Art Through the Ages or another survey
> book, but beyond that my mind goes blank.  I would welcome your
> suggestions.  The only programs in Dubai that might possibly have a
> connection to art/art history are packaging design and construction
> management.  There are no art/art history courses planned at present,
> just general "humanities" type classes.
>

> Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
>
> Terrie
>

> Terrie L. Wilson
>
> Art Librarian
>
> Michigan State University
>
> Fine Arts Library
>
> 100 Library
>
> East Lansing, MI  48824

Marsha Stevenson
Head of the Arts, Architecture and Media Department
243 Hesburgh Library, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame IN 46556
574-631-7665 (voice) 574-631-8887 (fax) 574-274-9554 (cell)