If any of you with experience in costume/fashion and/or cultural history have any good tips on the following, I'd welcome them. I've sent the student to see what he can find in Art Full Text/Art Retrospective, BHA, and Historical Abstracts. Would DAAI and/or ArtBib Modern be good for this? Any any other good candidates for indexing or specific works lost in the cracks betweem art/social history/cultural studies/other? We have International Bibliography of Theatre and Film & Television Literature Full Text, which I also suggested as a possibility. Quite a few books on costume in 19th c France are out there, but so much focuses on women--I was hoping for an inside tip or to to shorten the search for this student, who's thinking of doing his art history thesis on the following:

"men's clothing in the late 19th century ... "the dapper man." I want to look at the social,political and economical aspects of why men like Manet began to dress
in the manner that they did.

Edith L. Crowe | (408) 808-2037 | [log in to unmask]
Art & Design Librarian & Coordinator of Graduate Instruction
San Jose State University Library (http://www.sjlibrary.org)

Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society (http://www.mythsoc.org)