Dear ARLIS/NA Members,

Before we dance in the streets, sip some bubbly, and ring in the New
Year, I want to give you all a quick update of the ARLIS/NA
goings-on. There is plenty of great news to share including new
appointments, new awards, the upcoming ballot, and so on. I think we
have a good year ahead to celebrate!

1.) CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR NEWLY ELECTED BOARD MEMBERS:
    * Vice President/President Elect: Amy Lucker
    * Treasurer: Rijn Templeton
    * Canadian Representative: Liv Valmestad
    * West Regional Representative: Barbara Rominski
Those continuing on the Board are looking forward to working with you!

2.) NEW TRAVEL AWARD:

The Merrill Smith Travel Award is a new award for ARLIS/NA and funded
anonymously in honor of the late Merrill Wadsworth Smith. Merrill was
an active member of ARLIS/NA serving as its President in 1991 and was
the Associate Head Librarian of the Rotch Architecture Library at MIT.

The Merrill Smith Travel Award will be unveiled at the 2008 Denver
Conference and given to ARLIS/NA members who are actively, but not
necessarily exclusively, involved with the field of architecture in
visual and/or print collections including librarians, visual
resources curators, archivists, and students.

This is a wonderful gift to ARLIS/NA that will help us memorialize an
honorable member and recognize those who epitomize the best of our profession.

A call for applications and nominations for the Merrill Smith Travel
Award is forthcoming. Travel Awards Committee Chair, Jennifer Parker,
will notify the membership when the application process is open.
Direct questions to her at
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]

3.) SUMMER EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTE NEWS:
    * Welcome the newly appointed SEI Implementation Co-chair - Alix Reiskind.
    * SEI will be hosted at James Madison University in 2008.
    * Based on an SEI Task Force recommendation we will be forming an
SEI Advisory Group. The advisory group will focus on long term
planning and growth of this evolving educational program. The
advisory group will include two representatives from both ARLIS/NA
and VRA and one professional unaffiliated to either organization.
4.) SEE YOU IN BOSTON!

We signed the Seaport Hotel contract for the 2010 Boston conference.
Located on the Boston waterfront, the Seaport Hotel offers
first-class accommodations in an historic city that many of us will
look forward to visiting with our ARLIS/NA colleagues.

5.) NEW APPOINTMENT: TECHNOLOGY ADVISOR

An exciting new development to help bring our communications and
technological into the 2.0 world.

We are pleased to announce that Martha Ruddy has accepted the special
appointment of Technology Advisor. Martha is currently a Publications
Committee member-at-large.  She has agreed to start immediately and
will accept the honorarium that the Executive Board approved. She
will work closely with the Communications Liaison, while remaining a
member of the Publications Committee.

The Technology Advisor's first task will be to conduct a brief
overview or survey of what technologies are currently being used by
the Society, where these tools are being used, and who is using them.
This short report should be completed by February 1, 2008. Another
short report that will focus on which technological tools the Society
would like to be able to use; such as MemberClicks add-ons
(conference registration forms, chapter webpages, etc.), blogs,
wikis, other social software, etc. will follow. Both surveys/reports
will supply the Executive Board the necessary information to
implement technological tools that will enhance the functioning of our Society.

The charge:
"The ARLIS/NA Technology Advisor will assess the current uses of
technology in ARLIS/NA. The TA will advise the Executive Board and
Headquarters on technology resources that could enhance ARLIS/NA
activities, and everyday networking, dialog and project sharing.
Responsibilities may include writing proposals, attending meetings,
interacting with HQ staff, members of the Board, and the membership.
The TA role and objectives may be adjusted as needed. The TA role
will function within the Communications & Publications Committee and
rotate every two-four years."

6.) MEMBERCLICKS ADVISORY TEAM:

An advisory team has been formed to help us with the implementation
process of MemberClicks.
Consultant, Wayne Admundson, from McPhersonClarke will be leading the group.

Many thanks to those who are working on this effort: *Nedda Ahmed,
*Amy Ballmer, *Sarah Falls, *Annette Haines, *Bryan Loar, *Kristen
Regina, *Rachel Resnik, *Jenni Rodda, *Martha Ruddy, *Elizabeth
Schaub, and *Elizabeth Clarke, ARLIS/NA Executive Director

7.) BALLOTS ON THE WAY:

Please check the mail for your voting ballots. There are critical
issues that need your vote. We will look forward to finishing up some
much needed amendments to the ARLIS/NA By Laws and organizational
changes. Your vote makes a difference.

Cheers to you all! And a Peaceful and Happy New Year!

Deborah K. Ultan Boudewyns
President, ARLIS/NA

Deborah K. Ultan Boudewyns
Art History & Performing Arts Librarian