From: Mario Nick Klimiades <[log in to unmask]>
Date: November 29, 2007 5:48:45 PM EST
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Day Without Art/World AIDS Day December 1, 2007

Heard Museum, Phoenix, Arizona

HIV/AIDS facts and figures*

Through 2005, the Center for Disease Control confirmed 3,238 cumulative AIDS cases in the American Indian community in the U.S.

American Indians and Alaska Natives in 2005 suffered from the third-highest rate of HIV/AIDS diagnosis after Blacks and Hispanics.

The rate of AIDS diagnosis for American Indians and Alaska Natives has been higher than that for whites since 1995.

952,629 cumulative AIDS cases in the U.S. from 1981-2005 have been documented with 530,756 confirmed AIDS deaths.

2.1 million people have died of AIDS worldwide in 2007.

33.2 million people have HIV worldwide; two-thirds are from sub-Saharan Africa.

Each day 1,500 children worldwide become infected with HIV.

On December 1, 2007, the Heard Museum will observe Day Without Art/World AIDS Day.  In observance of Day Without Art, the Heard Museum will shroud its signature sculpture "Earth Song" by Apache artist Allan Houser at the entrance of its Phoenix location.  The Heard Museum will also distribute a brochure about HIV/AIDS to its visitors at Heard Museum West in Surprise, Heard Museum North Scottsdale, and its central location in Phoenix, Arizona.

The Heard Museum continues to actively support the annual World AIDS Day event and health fair hosted by the Phoenix Indian Medical Center; the event will begin at 10:00 a.m. on Friday, November 30, 2007, and will take place at the main entrance of the Phoenix Indian Medical Center, 4212 N. 16th St., Phoenix, Arizona.  The event is designed to promote awareness about HIV and AIDS among American Indians.

In addition to World AIDS Day, Phoenix Indian Medical Center will observe the 3rd annual National Native HIV/AIDS Awareness Day on March 20, 2008.  The focus for the March observance will be testing and treatment, care options, and direct action.  Native communities selected this day since it marks the start of spring, a time of beginnings and change.

AIDS does not discriminate. In the words of Dr. Charles Grim, Director of the Indian Health Service, "Every time we discuss HIV, we lessen the fear, decrease the stigma, and eliminate the silence.  We then have the opportunity to encourage others to protect themselves, know their status, and promote a healthier community."  This is our wish too.

Peace,

Mario Nick Klimiades
Library and Archives Director
Billie Jane Baguley Library and Archives
Heard Museum
2301 North Central Avenue
Phoenix, Arizona 85004-1323

voice: (602) 252-8840
fax: (602) 252-9757
email: [log in to unmask]

"What's wrong with this world?  There ain't but one word will tell you what's wrong, and that's selfishness"--Will Rogers (1879-1935)

Lucie Wall Stylianopoulos
Vice Chair, ACRL Arts Section

Head, Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library
University of Virginia