Sorry if this question has been asked before.

I was teaching a library research class to a group of photography students, and started discussing the LC classification system and the arts.  I pointed out that Native American arts created by Native Americans are in history, not in Fine Arts, and that photography is in technology rather than fine arts.  I said that this is a historic hangover from when LC was established at the turn of the 20th century.  A Native American student wants to know if LC is working to correct this, or if things are going to stay the way they are.  I told her that in terms of photography, I doubt that the books would be moved, but that I’m less certain about arts by Native Americans (and other non-Western European cultures).  Do you all know what LC is doing in these cases?

Please respond off-list.

Thanks!

--Peggy

Peggy Keeran