Hello to all,
I have been unable to find information on "heraldic composition", a
symmetrical composition around a central figure. I used all of the
resources I have here (Jstor, WorldCat, dictionaries, encyclopedias...)
with no luck. The student needs info on the origin of this type of
composition, how it was adopted by other cultures and why it is
prevailing in some types of art periods but not in others.
The student used the example of the UR Lyre, where in the first register
there is the man holding to the two bull-human figures, or in the
Standard of UR where in the first register the main figure is taller
than anyone else.  All the information I am getting is about heraldry,
not the right topic. The information I am finding is limited to a simple
definition of "symmetrical around a central figure".
Perhaps it is called something else? Although in several art survey
textbooks it is defined as above (like Gardner). Any help is really
appreciated.

Thank you so much
Alessia

Alessia Zanin-Yost
Reference Librarian/ Liaison to the Visual & Performing Arts
Western Carolina University- Hunter Library
176 Central Drive
Cullowhee, North Carolina 28723
Phone: 828 227 3398     Fax: 828 227 7380
Email: [log in to unmask]