I was quite startled to read this email and disturbed by the wild leap
from the CNN news story to your confusion about librarians and
intellectual freedom.  As the former chair of the Oregon Library
Association's Intellectual Freedom Committee and a member of the ALA
Intellectual Freedom Round Table, I know of no librarians who would
"turn a blind eye" to child pornography.
-Cara List

Ruth Thomas wrote:
> There are librarians who support intellectual and artistic freedom and
> expression to the point of turning a blind eye to child
> pornography--too bad, the kid was in the wrong place at the wrong
> time.  The fight to prevent censorship is more important than the
> fight to prevent videoed child sexual abuse.
>
> Today's online CNN photograph of the 5-yr old girl in a child
> pornography videotape ought to change some hearts and minds.  Freedom
> of expression and other euphemisms are unacceptable rationales for
> ignoring the fact that a real live innocent human child has undergone
> untold physical and psychological pain--or is it artistic portrayal?
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/27/sextape.search.ap/index.html
>

> Ruth S. Thomas
> Archaeology, Art, Art History, Classics Bibliographer
> Mugar Memorial Library
> Boston University
> 771 Commonwealth Ave.
> Boston, MA 02215
> (617)353-3770
>
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, ARLIS-L automatic digest system wrote:
>

>   [NON-Text Body part not included]

Cara List
Art and Architecture Reference Librarian
Architecture and Allied Arts Library
5249 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5249