I prefer an online version of the print directory.  However, I understand the concerns mentioned by several members.

  1. The print version offers a historical snapshot of the society, and, together, they offer a historical overview
  2. The print version is easily annotated
  3. The print version is available in most cases (no need to access the Internet)
  4. The print version is portable

These arguments focus on the print directory's ease of use as well as its ability to be a tool for historical research.  However, there are several advantages to an online directory.

  1. Customization - because the directory would be built using a relational database, features like organizing members by geographical location could be easily built into the system
  2. Environmentally friendly - the society would not send directories to member who are not interested in the print version (something that is already practiced on the online application form)
  3. Content is user driven - members will now have the ability to keep their contact information continuously up-to-date
  4. Offline access - the PDF version could be kept locally at the member's machine, and the PDF is full-text searchable

I believe that both have specific benefits.  Thus, I believe both should be offered.  I think there may be an opportunity for Print On Demand (POD) services.

For example, http://www.lulu.com offers softcover books with coil or perfect binding.  For a 100 page, black & white book bound either way, the production cost is $6.53.  The postage is then calculated by Lulu.  The seller has the option to sell at cost, and, when they do, Lulu's commission is waived.  Finally, the seller has the option to set up a free online store.  The seller can customize the store with their own banner image, etc.

I assume if only some people want the print edition, we will loose our volume printing discount with our current publisher.  Using a POD service is one way we can offer our members the print directory at a reasonable price.  Furthermore, the service will produce a far superior quality product than that of a printed PDF.

Sincerely,

BRYAN LOAR
Resource Librarian

FITCH

1266 MANNING PARKWAY
POWELL, OHIO 43065, USA
T + 1 614 841 2091
F + 1 614 885 4289

http://www.fitch.com

The reason for my initial post was the lack of availability of the online version when I needed it. You can only get “page not found” so many times before you end up looking for a print version or as I did, spend my time looking for an institution’s telephone number online, going through their operator….

The print version is a snapshot of the Society at a given moment in time - while the online version is not.  No one would discount the statements about the amount of labor and expense required to produce a printed publication nor would they deny the benefits and ease of electronic publishing. What is left?  There seem to be so few tangible benefits that remain of belonging to ARLIS … Update and conference proceedings are gone - now wisely replaced by the AWS, traffic on ARLIS-L is minimal (except with this thread). If we now lose the Directory, when do we cease publication of Art Documentation?

Gregory P. J. Most

Chief, Department of Image Collections

Library

National Gallery of Art