The reason for my initial post was the lack of availability of the
online version when I needed it. You can only get "page not found" so
many times before you end up looking for a print version or as I did,
spend my time looking for an institution's telephone number online,
going through their operator....

The print version is a snapshot of the Society at a given moment in time
- while the online version is not.  No one would discount the statements
about the amount of labor and expense required to produce a printed
publication nor would they deny the benefits and ease of electronic
publishing. What is left?  There seem to be so few tangible benefits
that remain of belonging to ARLIS ... Update and conference proceedings
are gone - now wisely replaced by the AWS, traffic on ARLIS-L is minimal
(except with this thread). If we now lose the Directory, when do we
cease publication of Art Documentation?

Gregory P. J. Most

Chief, Department of Image Collections

Library